Strathglass Marketing Group
Strathglass Marketing Group was established in 2001 in the wake of the foot and mouth epidemic that had serious implications for tourism based businesses throughout the UK. The overall aim of SMG is to promote the Glen Affric and Strathglass area, including the surrounding glens, as a first class tourist destination in order to maximise business and tourism-related income and employment opportunities within the local community.
How we promote ourselves
- Through our web site www.glenaffric.info with information on local interest and activities to attract visitors.
- Members have a full web page promoting their business together with a link to their own web site.
- Through the use of social networking via our Facebook page.
- Developing excellent links with Forestry Commission Scotland thus giving us a voice on matters of concern or making recommendations for their consideration.
- Membership and a presence at board level on Destination Loch Ness which is one of the more advanced Destination Management Organisations in Scotland.
- Development of the Glen Affric Walking Festival - so successfull it is now run as a commercial enterprise by a local guiding company.
- The Glen Affric Duathlon, last staged in 2009 but scheduled to recommence in April 2015.
- Promotion of local live music events.
- Assisting with local community projects.
- And of course, along with our partners, developing the Affric Kintail Way!